lichess.org
Donate

New to Chess! Wondering if these are good books?

Hey! By the title of this post, you can probably tell that I'm new to chess. I'm starting to take an interest in it. I know the rules and how each piece moves. I'm wondering to see if these 3 books are good for my skill level:
Logical Chess: Move By Move
Chess Openings for White, Explained: Winning with 1. E4
How to Reassess Your Chess: The Complete Chess-Mastery Course, Expanded 3rd Edition(Is this book still good if it's from '97?)

Thanks in advance!
Some master said: any book is good if it's about chess. :)
The book of Silman is very great, one of the best chess books you can find.
Silman? Wasn't that the guy who claimed that one can play good chess by going through a list of rules?! (and no, that's not how things work in reality)
Logical Chess: Move By Move.

This Chernev's book will help you a lot in the first steps. I learned the basis of chess as a child with this book. I tabsolutely recommend it for you to start with.
Bent Larsen - My 50 best games, someone recommended me this book.
Silman books are very instructive and should be useful to you as you progress. Yes, Silman's method is that, in most cases, the board is telling you where to look for the best move.

Don't worry about how old a book is. Focus on principles, not openings.
All chess books are good if you go over them and replay the moves/solve the puzzles.

Don't forget to play though...
The Chess Openings Explained book is inappropriate for a beginner and has major problems anyway. The Chernev book is pretty good for your level, and the Silman book is excellent, but might be a little much to start with.

Stick with the Chernev book out of those three and take your time with it. Play every move of every game on a real board and try your hardest to understand everything to the best of your ability.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.